Sunday, March 27, 2011

Class Variable to increment Fixnum objects

Anyone who starts to play with Ruby Metaprogramming soon is faced with the Fixnum increment problem.

Fixnum has no pre/post self-increment/decrement operator/method.

Some nice day I innocently tried to do i.succ!, guessing "that obviously exists". I was surprised when I got an error. Well, I thought, in Ruby it's simple: it's just to code:

class Fixnum
  def succ!
    self.replace succ
  end
end

(I'd to use self.replace in String class recently.)

Then I was shocked: replace is not an Object method; it's a String (and some other classes') method, and it's not available to Fixnum (and some other classes).

But then, "how can we (or anyone) implement such methods into Fixnum?" A powerful language like Ruby could not be that restricted!

Since we see many magic codes using Ruby Metaprogramming, I was decided to find a way.

As I was learning Ruby, I understood that if Ruby hasn't something, you can implement it. E.g.: Ruby has not the "with" keyword, like Pascal. That's not a problem, as you can implement it. So I thought there would be a way to do a self-increment method for Ruby integers.

It isn't really necessary, since we can use i += 1. But then I had adopted the challenge. Now I wouldn't stop anymore. Oh, no!...

One argument for not having the ++ operator in Ruby is: a symbol refers directly to the object, and not to the variable which contains the object. So, if i is 1, trying to do i++ is the same as trying to do 1++, which would turn the value of the number 1 into 2, and 1 woudn't be 1 anymore.

Personally I don't agree with that argument, because you can do "i += 1" and you can't do "1 += 1"; so, I think would be possible to do "i++" not being the same as doing "1++". Anyway I agree with other arguments, like: it's not the Ruby way to code; it can obfuscate the code; it can cause confusion about what is going on in codes like "a[++i] = i++" etc.

I tried many things. The first try that worked was a lambda method to increment a variable through its symbol:

inc = lambda do |x|
  eval "#{x} += 1"
end

a = 5

inc[:a]

puts a       # => 6

(I'd tried "def inc" to do the same in main:Object and in class Symbol, but inside a "def" eval can't access external variables.)

But that is not like doing "a.inc". So I went on, and on, and on, and some other nice day I finnaly got it! And so I decided to create this blog! (Yes: this post is the reason for which I created this blog!) I used a class which I named "Variable", because it contains the object instead of being the object itself. Here's it:

class Variable

  def initialize value = nil
    @value = value
  end

  attr_accessor :value

  def method_missing *args, &blk
    @value.send(*args, &blk)
  end

  def to_s
    @value.to_s
  end

  # here's the increment/decrement part
  def inc x = 1
    @value += x
  end

  def dec x = 1
    @value -= x
  end

  # pre-increment ".+" when x not present
  def +(x = nil)
    x ? @value + x : @value += 1
  end

  def -(x = nil)
    x ? @value - x : @value -= 1
  end
end

a = Variable.new 5

# normal + operator
puts a + 3           # => 8
puts a               # => 5
puts a.inc 2         # => 7
puts a               # => 7
puts a.dec           # => 6
puts a.dec           # => 5

# pre-increment + operator,
# (for those who doesn't like to type "inc")
puts a.+ * 2         # => 12: a turns into 6, which is doubled
puts a               # => 6
puts a.value.class   # => Fixnum

# puts a while a goes to zero
puts a while a.-> 0

(About the last line, see more on "goes to" operator. :)

I think it's not soooo useful, but if you can do something interesting with it, please tell me! :)

After doing that, I found an elegant way to do similar behavior by using delegation.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment